Do you know enough about the degree options open to you?
Do you want to know a little bit more?
We’ve put together a quick introduction to some of the many degree options available here. Typically lasting three to four years, their admission requirements are heavily weighted towards globally recognized college entrance examinations.
1. Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
An LLB degree offers graduates the legal knowledge required to practice law in Singapore and apply that knowledge to various disciplines across different geographical borders.
There is a demand in Singapore for lawyers practising law in many areas, including Banking & Finance, Energy Projects, Corporate/M&A, Capital Markets, and International Disputes & Arbitration.
You can expect to acquire the following skills through a Bachelor of Laws program:
- Knowledge of Legal Matters (policy, theories, & case studies)
- General Understanding of Law (business, politics, sociology, and ethics & morality)
- Technical & Professional Law Language
- Ability to Draft Legal Documents
- Ability to Construct & Defend Legal Arguments
- General Research Skills
- General IT Skills
- Teamwork Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Foreign Language Skills (if applicable)
As with most bachelor’s degrees, an LLB starts students off with more general core courses and later on—usually in the last two years—more specific topics can be chosen based on the particular law career the student is interested in pursuing.
A list of career paths LLB graduates typically follow can be seen below:
- Litigation (private practice & law firm)
- Judicial Clerk
- Judge Advocate General Officer (JAG)
- Legal Services for Corporate Sector
- Public Prosecutor
- Human Rights Lawyer
- Cyber Lawyer
- Legal Relation & Policy Analyst
- Legal Researcher
- Legal Outsourcing
- Media & Journalism
- Academics (research & teaching law)
As can be seen from the above list, fresh LLB graduates can choose from many career options, many of which are not confined to the traditional courtroom setting.
This gives fresh graduates many options and opportunities to practise law within various professional settings, including corporations, IT firms, administrative.
Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Admissions
Those wishing to pursue an LLB degree in Singapore should know that most Bachelor of Law programs require academic success and personal qualities relevant to practising law.
Qualities such as aptitude, intellectual curiosity, positive attitude, critical thinking, and communication skills will be evaluated before a student is accepted.
The standard academic requirements needed for consideration include:
- Class 12 Accreditation
- Singapore GCE A-Levels Requirements
- Polytechnic Diploma
- IB Diploma
- NUS High School Diploma
- SAT/IELTS/TOEFL SCORES (TOEFL:100, IELTS;7.5)
- Secondary School Examination Results (GCE O-Level, year 10 results, or equivalent)
- Proof of Extracurricular Activities or Co-Curricular Activities
- Special Achievements & Awards Records (if any)
Singapore LLB programs usually combine lectures, group work, class debates, presentations, seminars, and mooting sessions to increase legal skills like argument formation, public speaking, and research & analysis.
2. Bachelor of Science (BS) in Engineering (Computer Engineering) (BSBECE)
Computer Engineering Programs (CEG) in Singapore prepare students to embark on a lifelong career that will help shape the digital world of the future through innovation & creativity and the protection of civil liberties against cybercriminals.
There are currently 6,000 plus computer engineering jobs available in Singapore at the time of writing.
A BSBECE major is designed to equip students with the following computer engineering skills:
- Computer Programming & Coding
- Object-Oriented Design (OOD)
- Software Testing & Debugging
Along with the above skills, those pursuing a Bachelor’s in Computer Engineering will also acquire general skills like problem-solving, logical thinking, communication (written & verbal), and teamwork through their studies.
Some of the more popular career paths available to fresh computer engineering graduates include:
- Software Developer
- Computer Network Architect
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Information Security Analyst
A significant difference between most traditional computer engineering programs and Singapore’s CEG program is that the latter offers a multi-disciplinary approach through the amalgamation of both Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering departments.
This combination helps to bring real-world situations into a learning environment giving students the experience they need to embark on their chosen career path right after graduation.
There are two main criteria that prospective students must obtain before applying: GCE ‘A’ Level or a Polytechnic Diploma.
As far as the GCE ‘A’ Level or equivalent qualification is concerned, it includes:
- A good grade in GCE ‘A’ Level H2 or IB Mathematics
- A good grade in GCE ‘A’ Level Physics, Computing, Chemistry or IB HL Physics, Computer Science, Chemistry
*** New students who do not meet the H2 or HL Physics requirement must have a minimum GCE of ‘O’ Level in Physics or an equivalent subject.
All students who have graduated with a Polytechnic Diploma are eligible to apply without meeting criteria.
Polytechnic Diplomas from the following schools will be accepted:
- Nanyang Polytechnic
- NGEE Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Temasek Polytechnic
3. Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)
A BDS degree obtained from an accredited learning institution in Singapore is recognized by the Singapore Dental Council and will allow graduates to begin their practice in the public sector within the country after registering with the council.
As of this writing, there are over 100 dental surgery jobs available in Singapore.
Securing a BDS designation in Singapore entails a four-year, full-time commitment. Those students who score high on all course examinations will be eligible for a BDS (Honours) degree making them more employable and in a better position to demand a higher starting salary.
During the four-year course the following disciplines will be covered:
- Oral Sciences
- Primary Dental Care & Population Oral Health
- Orthodontics & Paediatric Dentistry
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Endodontics Operative Dentistry & Prosthodontics
Aside from the six hard skills listed above, students will also learn the following soft skills necessary for all dentistry disciplines:
- Communication (verbal & written)
- Positive Attitude
- Self Confidence
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Flexibility & Adaptability
BDS students will be provided with a broad range of exposure to general dentistry practices and various facets of dentistry to expand their career options allowing BDS graduates the opportunity to seek employment in the following health and dentistry settings:
- Dental Clinics
- Educational Institutions
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research Institutes
- Dental Product Manufacturers
A fresh BDS graduate typically takes a few years to start a private practice in Singapore due to a lack of experience. However, there are exceptions to this rule.
To learn more about these exceptions and the overall Singapore Dentistry Registration process, visit Register as a Dentist in Singapore.
Applicants who wish to pursue a Bachelor of Dental Surgery diploma in Singapore need to meet the following admission requirements and subject prerequisites:
- Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level H1/H2/H3 Curriculum (good H2 pass in Chemistry & good H2 pass in Physics or Biology)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma (good HL pass in Chemistry & Physics or Biology)
- NUS High School Diploma (good major CAP in Chemistry & Physics or Biology)
- Polytechnic Diploma Singapore (accredited for dentistry)
Applicants who are shortlisted will have to take a manual dexterity test and appear for multiple interviews which usually occur between March and April of each year.
Aside from the basic dental science knowledge taught during the four years of the BDS program, students will also be given practical clinical training to be better prepared for multiple clinical dentistry environments upon completion of their studies.
4. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
A BS in Nursing gives new students all the skills and knowledge they need to enjoy a full-time career in nursing.
Due to the increase in Singapore’s ageing population, new and complex diseases, and breakthroughs and advancements in healthcare management, the demand for nurses in Singapore has increased over the last few years.
While pursuing an undergraduate nursing degree, students will get practical healthcare experience by learning from those currently working in Singapore’s hospitals, thus giving them a head start on what to expect from the nation’s healthcare environment before they ever leave school.
The main healthcare skills that are developed during a BSN program are as follows:
- Urgent & Emergency Care
- Checking & Monitoring Vital Signs
- Patient & Family Education
- Patient Safety
- Patient Communication (behavioural skills)
- Healthcare Technology Skills
Acquiring the above skills will make students eligible for the following career paths:
- Hospital Staff Nurse
- Clinic Nurse
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- School Nurse
- Home Health Nurse
- Telemedicine Nurse
A list of current nursing jobs available in Singapore can be viewed here: Nursing Jobs in Singapore.
The basic academic requirements for admissions into Singapore’s nursing program for local students are listed below:
- Singapore-Cambridge GCE ‘A’ Level Certificate (pass H2 level in any of the following two courses: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computing)
- Singapore Polytechnic Diploma
- NUS High School Qualifications (CAP 2.0 in any two of the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Mathematics
5. Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Architecture
This university major offers a four-year curriculum encompassing architectural history, theory, technologies, systems, and tectonics.
Since 2018, the following three accredited universities in Singapore have offered undergraduate degrees in Architecture: the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, and the Singapore University of Technology and Design.
In the first year of the curriculum, students will gain knowledge in design, critical thinking, and representation.
During the second and third years, pertinent topics such as site, structure, and envelope will be explored on a deeper level.
By the fourth year, undergrads will be able to choose their specialization in the field of architecture.
The skills acquired during the four-year architectural study program include:
- Design Skills & Knowledge
- Building & Construction Knowledge
- Thinking & Reasoning Skills
- Customer Service Skills
- Computer & Architectural Software Skills & Knowledge
There are many architecture jobs available to fresh graduates depending on the specialization they choose during their final year.
Some of the more common ones include:
- Building Architect (junior architect)
- Structural Designer (junior architect)
- Graphic Designer
- Project Manager (assistant)
- Urban Planner (assistant)
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) Detailer
There are currently over 2,000 architect jobs available in Singapore at the time of writing.
BA in Architecture Admissions
To be considered for admission into one of Singapore’s BA in Architecture programs, you should have at least one of the following qualifications:
- ‘A’ Level: H1 pass in Mathematics or Chemistry or pass in ‘O’ Level Additional Mathematics
- Diploma from local Polytechnic Institute (excludes advanced diplomas, specialist diplomas, and certificate courses)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma: pass in Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics
- NUS High School Diploma: good GPA in Chemistry or Mathematics
- Year 12 or higher pass in Chemistry, Mathematics, Physical Science, or Physics (required for international students)
Undergraduate students can also expect to cover current critical global issues such as climate, natural resources, urbanization, population density, and human justice as part of the BA in Architecture curriculum.
What other majors would you like to learn more about? Do let us know in the comments, and we’ll see what we can do! (:
Write for Digital Senior
Do you like writing and sharing your experiences or insights? We’re always looking for authors who can deliver quality articles and blog posts. Thousands of your peers will read your work.